Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Through the city walk!

I meant to post this on the 4th! So I will just pretend that it was the 4th :) Today we (the attic roommates plus Haley) did the city walk, which took about 2 hours. It was really cool because we visited a lot of really old buildings like churches, bell towers, and the London tower bridge! We ate lunch in the crypt of this old church, it was awesome! I would love to read more about it! After we ate we went to this old building that was the Lloyd’s building. It looks a lot like the building in I-robot. :) It had tons of metal tubes and things on the outside and on the inside it looked like big machinery with big open areas and lots of geometric smooth lines.
After we went down an ally and then we saw the building that Cruela De Vil worked at in 101 Dalmatians!!! Then we went down to the water and saw the London Tower Bridge. And then we headed back to the BYU center! I will have to post some more pictures of our walk and everything! But I will do that some other time! I’ll post one of my assignments for humanities, because I know that you will want to read it so badly!! :) I got to get some sleep for tomorrow! We are going to Canterbury and Dover!!!! Thanks for reading!!


Raphael vs. Buonaccorso


The Renaissance painting that I chose is School of Athens by Raphael and the medieval painting that I chose is Marriage of the Virgin by Niccolo di Buonaccorso. I will first start with the difference in subject matters. In the school of Athens there are lots of people doing all sorts of different things and grouped into a lot of small groups. In the marriage of the virgin the people are all there for one purpose, the marriage, and they are all focusing on the virgin mostly. The marriage of the virgins has a lot more of a feel of a fantasy wedding compared to Raphael’s painting that’s more realistic everyday life. There are a lot of similarities between these two paintings; they both have an outdoor scene that brings your eye to the back of the painting. In both of these paintings they also are very detailed in their architecture and backgrounds.
There are a lot of aesthetics that are similar between these paintings, one of the most interesting things that these two paintings have arches in the very back and then they are also emphasized in the front of the paintings. Also in both paintings the floor patterns are very similar, at the bottom they have patterns using squares. The colors used in both of the paintings are very similar in that a lot of them are wearing blue, red, yellow, and a little green.
Some of the differences in these paintings is that in the marriage of the virgin the perception is not as quite as good as in the school of Athens. The virgin painting uses a ton of gold leaf in the painting and in the frame, where as in the school of Athens there is a little gold leaf on the outsides of the detailed walls. The human anatomy is very different, the virgin has a cartoon look to it and the school of Athens is not very detailed but the people look pretty realistic. Also the marriage of the virgin is outside while the school is inside with natural light coming in from the ceiling. In the school of Athens there are some statues on both sides, giving some symmetry, while in the marriage the tree and bushes are fairly symmetrical.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the vision you provide for me. Your conversation is friendly, open, and descriptive, so that I feel like I am right there with you.

    I appreciate your insight on the paintings. You pointed out things which I had never considered which caused me to reflect more deeply about the meaning. Pointing out the use of light is particularly powerful. I wonder if the artist in the Medieval painting was casting light around the main figures or perhaps trying to depict a Holiness with a halo around their heads. Wonderful contrast!

    ReplyDelete